3" plug cutter (tenon cutter)

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 13:12:22 -0700

Carbon Steel tenon cutters ( will cut up to 3" in length ) are available
in 3/8, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 3/4, and 1" sizes from MLCS.  mlcswoodworking.com
On the "higher tech" side of similar cutters you can get a carbide tipped
cutter that will cut a 0.65" tenon, but I have a feeling that is a little
too large for your purposes.

John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 13:15:04 -0500 "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
writes:
> I guess I was making an assumption about the supply-house pinblocks.
> I have
> been using some 7-ply pinblock plugs from Web Philips, which were
> reportedly
> cut from "standard supply-house pinblocks". They way these tend to
> readily
> split perpendicular to the long axis let me to assume they were
> either
> rotary cut or at best flat cut. No doubt I may be out in left
> field.
>
> Regarding plugs, many had provided guidance a while back on where to
> get a
> plug cutter - but I could find none that allowed cutting a plug of
> pinblock
> thickness - all were 1" thick max. Anyone have a source to share for
> high-quality plug cutter for up to 2" long plugs?
>
> Terry Farrell
> Piano Tuning & Service
> Tampa, Florida
> mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com