Roots, Cents and Herz and ETD's

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 17:15:21 -0500

Duncan,

I think I have your answer.  As Richard Brekne pointed out,
1.0005782715387 is not the 1200-th root of 2.  But your
spreadsheet seemed to say that it was.  So I got to thinking,
what is 1.0005782715387 and why did it seem to work out for you?
It turns out that 1.0005782715387 is exactly the 1199-th root of 2.
So I guess that your spreadsheet program has a counting error.
You may have left off the first or the last of the 1200 multiplications,
so that after 1199 multiplications you have exactly 2.0000.  Of
course the 100-th, 200-th, etc. multiplications will not match
the 12-note scale under this scenario.

Although you did not seem to suffer from any cumulative error in
the many multiplications, it would be more reliable to calculate
these very high powers of numbers near 1 by using logarithms:

    y          (y * log(x))
x     =   10

-Robert Scott
  Ypsilanti, Michigan