Plugging Pin Blocks

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:26:19 -0800

I have been plugging pinblocks for the past 20years +. The glue of =
choice is not epoxy, titebond or cva! The glue I use is Weldwood Plastic =
Resin Glue.
The plugs should fit tight. I have a jig to put vertical slits in the =
plugs, for hydrolic glue release. The Plugs are pounded in with a wooden =
mallet. The plugs I use are 3/4". This allows for an over-lapping that =
joins the plugs in a homogenous mass. The only real criteria is, that =
the overall condition of the original pin block must be structurally =
sound. (ie no delaminations, etc.
I hope this will help any of you techs. that might be considering this =
method as an alternative. (Some pianos were built with the pin block =
being NOT extractable!)
regards, Joe Garrett - Oregon