Level of Service

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 17:12:31 EST

In a message dated 3/12/2001 12:51:23 PM Central Standard Time,
Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

<< If there is a blank stare, or even a
 "thanks but no thanks" kind of response, I leave it alone. My opinion is
that
 if we try to push additional service on a customer who doesn't want it, it
 might be construed that we are trying to "gouge" the customer. And we can't
 afford to get that reputation. >>

The difficulty with this, although I agree with the general sentiment, is
that most people don't know what's in a piano. The "blank stare" response is
more common than not, and what it tells me is the client needs more
information in order to make informed responses. Obviously there are a
variety of ways to do this, our time being the most effective and valuable,
both to them and to us. It would be a disservice to the owner NOT to tell
them of some problem found that could be corrected or alleviated; perhaps not
right now, but over time, or as can be afforded; or the decision may be to do
nothing at all; as long as the client knows the condition of things, we've
done our job. If the client doesn't know the condition of things, then we
haven't done our job. Handling this kind of communication takes skill and
sensitivity, and a disinterested (detached) posture. The kinder and more
detached from our own pocketbooks we are in this kind of discourse the more
effective. But, your point is still well taken, Wim.
PR-J