Baldwin key bushing removal

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:58:18 -0600

>I am doing key rebushing on a 1993 Baldwin 243. The original glue is some
>gummy white stuff which does not come off very easily using water and
>wallpaper remover or a water/alcohol mixture. I can remove the old bushings
>OK after soaking them several times, but the mortise is all gummy. What kind
>of glue is this, is there an easy way to remove it, and should I glue the
>new bushings with the same glue used originally instead of hide glue since
>there is the gummy stuff left behind?
>
>John Formsma

Hi John,

I'm not sure what the stuff is (hide glue/whiting???) (marshmallow
fluff???), but it responds real nicely to steam or water+heat=.

The hard part seems to be getting the removed bushings to let go of your
fingers or tweezers when you pick them out of the mortise. The little
suckers stick like grim death.

Ron N