Pinblock Plugs

Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:18:36 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 13, 2001 4:05 AM
Subject: Re: Pinblock Plugs

> The epoxy I have used, and I believe what Roger Jolly uses, is West System
> epoxy - and the entire philosophy of its engineering is to bond wood. It
was
> originally designed for cold molding wooden boats together. West System
> becomes one with the wood.
>
> But, I like your ideas. Especially the Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue. I have
> used that in many other applications in the past a like it quite a bit. It
> would certainly be easier to use in this application. All the gooey epoxy
> was a bit problematic for me and can easily see that the Weldwood would be
> easier. There are so many very good glues out there, that sometimes I find
> it easy to forget one that you haven't used for a while!

You might want to consider the fit of the plugs as you consider your choice
of adhesive. So-called 'plastic resin' glues (usually a member of a broad
classification of adhesives otherwise known as phenol-formaldehyde
adhesives) require a very nice, tight fit between the joined members. As a
class they are notoriously very poor gap-fillers.

Epoxy, on the other hand, is probably one of the best gap-filling adhesives
known. It is also known for its inter-penetrating abilities -- especially
the water-thin varieties -- and is the only wood adhesive known for its
exceptional ability to form any bond strength at all when used with two
end-grain wood members -- as you will have with wood pinblock plugs.

Now, having said that, I have only rarely plugged a pinblock, preferring to
replace them whenever possible. And with the types of pianos I work on it is
nearly always possible even if I have to conduct a bit of surgery to get the
casework apart.

Joe, on the other hand, often works on pianos that are even older than he
is. And it sounds like he already has quite a bit more experience plugging
than I will probably ever have.

So. You pays your money and takes your chances.

Del