Strange Scaling

Patrick C. Poulson pcpoulso@pacbell.net
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:59:05 -0800

Greetings All!  I am in the early stages of restringing a 5'3 Kohler and =
Chase grand which has a strange scale.  Upon measuring the gauge of the =
strings, I was surprised to find that the piano has .036 wire from notes =
55 through 76.  This seems like an unusually long use of the same gauge =
of wire, in fact so unusual that I went back and doublechecked the wire, =
with the same results.  Should I keep the same scale, or at least go =
down to 035 wire in the middle of this section to have a smoother =
transtion into the upper treble?  Thanks, Patrick Poulson, RPT