Strange Scaling

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:07:24 -0500

The size of wire used is a function of the speaking lengths.  That
many of one size does not sound right but it could be done with a
strange looking bridge where the speaking lengths get too long too
fast.

That piano is a strong candidate for rescaling, especially the bass.
It is possible to make a piano sound a foot longer than it is with a
well scaled bass string set where the parameters of core, wrap and
unwrapped ends are carefully chosen for power, tension and
inharmonicity.  That scale was not right from day one and that is for
certain.

		Newton