Casters

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:35:44 -0700

At 06:06 PM 3/13/2001 -0400, John Ross wrote:

>The University I am at wants to stop using the grand piano
>trucks. The movers of the piano, apparently think that they are
>hard to use.

Bad excuse unless it's a daily thing. Do the movers understand that each of
these pianos is worth as much as a small house?

>The want to use the individual grand leg dollies, 3 or 4 wheels
>on each leg.
>I don't think that is such a good idea, these pianos are a
>Steinway D, and a Yamaha CF.
>I would like to hear any pros and cons for these wheel systems.

I have used them semi-successfully on two Steinway Ds, but in order to
protect the legs from breaking off if they got caught on something we had
steel braces made which means drilling holes into the piano. The small
wheels don't absorb much impact when rolling it across floors of any kind
and the instruments seemed to be under a great deal more stress on being
moved. We've since gone to the Colson trucks and I'll recommend them over
the leg dollies any day.

That being said, the movers get paid a relative pittance for moving around
instruments that are worth over $100K each. If this is a problem for them,
protect the instrument first. Movers are a dime a dozen and you can always
train new ones properly.

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
mailto: john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom