SAT users poll

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:39:25 -0000

I started using the SAT III about a year ago after 25 years of strictly
aural tuning.  I had some problems at first with the machine periodically
throwing out some very strange numbers, but sent it back to Sanderson and
they corrected the problem.  To be honest, I can't tell you what the problem
was but I have had none since.  I will say that I don't always agree with
the machine.  Sometimes it overstretches and the octaves aren't as clean as
I would like (rarely does it seem to understretch).  Sometimes the
progression of thirds/tenths takes off a little to fast for my taste,
especially in the fifth octave.  I always check aurally as I go and my ear
makes the final decision.  It is a great tool though, easy to use and very
compact.  Allows me to do more tunings in a day if I have to (e.g. with
institutional work--you know, work that if you had to do it by ear you would
end up in an institution).  It's very good for pitch raises.  I find it very
useful to have another set of "ears".  I haven't nearly explored all its
possibilites.  The manual covers the basic functions but it would be nice if
it were a little more comprehensive in terms of the some of the more subtle
aspects of its use.  I will say that after 25 years of ears only, I turn it
on for every tuning now.  Couldn't hurt.

David Love