Humidity Control

Kenneth Sloane kenneth.sloane@oberlin.edu
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:45:07 -0500

To All- I was in charge of several concert instruments that were kept in a
storage room under precise environment control. However, the auditorium in
which the instruments were used saw humidity fluctuations between approx.
20% and 75%. Bringing the instruments (kept at 45%) into the auditorium
almost always precipitated big changes in tuning and regulation. I
preferred that the instruments be kept on stage at least a week prior to
their use to acclimate. This probably negated the rational for keeping the
instruments under humidity control while in strorage because they not only
had to make the adjustment to the stage environment, they also had to go
back to storage (and 45%) after their use. For the popular instruments,
that meant going back and forth many times per year.     Ken Sloane

--On Tuesday, March 13, 2001 6:00 PM -0400 John Ross