Music Desk Repair

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:10:59 -0500

Hi folks. I did a bunch of work to a recently inherited 1900 Baldwin
Hamilton grand piano the other day (grandma's piano). One of the things the
woman wanted me to do is repair her music desk. It is much like many desks
where there are two somewhat square end pieces with two approximately 1" x
2" boards going across. All hardware is missing.The forward one has the
little ridges on upper surface where one would set the base of a music book.
The actual desk piece sets down inside between the four other wooden pieces
such that when it is pivoted back so that you could put a book on it, the
forward side of the bottom wedges against the back side of the forward 1" x
2" piece. Is this clear??????? (about as clear as mud?????) The problem is
if I just put a simple piece of rod in there for the desk to pivot on (it
has  brass-lined holes on each side for such a pivot point), it would work
fine when in use, but it would not allow for the music desk to fold flat if
you wanted to close the lid.

Did these music desks have some kind of a compound folding pivot-hinge or
some such beast? Anyone know where I might be able to get the hardware. I
don't see any such thing in the catalogs.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com