Improving Projection..

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 07:19:07 -0500

Sorry Phil, no suggestions, just questions. Of the 437 areas of piano
technology where I still feel like I don't know everything, piano "tone" or
just general sound characteristics just puzzle me. When I can't  count it,
or lay a ruler or a gram weight on it and measure it, it all seems so
confusing to me. Please explain what you mean by "no projection". You also
say "The piano sits on a tile floor, so there's no carpeting to soak up the
sound, or in this case, the lack of it." So, do you mean to say that the
piano is simply quiet, i.e. not very loud? Or does "projection" indicate
something else - like a piano could be quite loud if measured with a meter
at the piano, but somehow it does not have the ability to project that sound
over much of a distance. What is David Hughes presumably saying in his
Journal ads when he states "Full and partial bellywork performed with
sustain, clarity, and projection the objectives..."? Sustain - sure, the
notes ring longer. Clarity - no sweat, nice clean tone, no rattles, buzzes,
wavering, falseness, etc. "Projection"? Does this indicate the pianos are
simply loud? Or does it go somewhere beyond that.

I inspected a new Baldwin L for a guy the other day and I feel real
comfortable inspecting it for any defects, state of regulation, action
geometry, etc. (by the way, this NEW piano had about 100 cracks in the
bridge at the bridge pin bases!). But when you get to the question of "So,
how does it sound", I feel quite a bit less confident (I can certainly pick
out gross problems - but I don't think I have much of an ear for any finer
details). What an artsy fartsy question. But obviously, an important one. I
do realize it takes time and experience to be able to pick out some of these
nuances, but that is why I am asking these questions. Thanks for any input
anyone may have.

The bottom line: Does projection differ from loudness? If so, how?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com