lost and found

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:05:51

A few days ago I went to my last tuning of the day and began my normal
routine.  Almost always, I do a two-pass tuning, so the first 20-30 mins. is
'meditation' time.  Ear plugs in, pitch-raise mode with RCT, concentrate on
breathing, posture, and cruising along to make the little green propeller
stop.  Fine, noticed one repaired bass string, so made note-to-self to lower
pitch a little before raising.

Bottom to top tuning, one mute, switch to narrow mute around A440,
aaaaaaaaoooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Get to just above the last dampers.....

aaaaaaaaaooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmm

There goes the mute, ker-plunk!

aaaaaaoooooooooommmmmmmmMAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!

Yes, I put an "s" curve in the mute wire so the handle rests on the adjacent
hammers.  Yes, I've heard the hint about tying a short segment of bushing
cloth on the mute to catch the felt of the hammers, but just never tried it.
  I only drop a mute about once a month, and it's usually not that hard to
pull the knee board for retrieval.

Open up the piano...... hey, remember that repaired bass string?  THERE'S
that little pair of vise-grips I remember!  Still clamped to the hitch pin,
just doing its thing.

I've found from other people:

tweezers
capstan wrench
small screwdriver
wire gauge
mutes

I did come to a piano years ago and noticed some EXTREME heavyness and
clunking in one bass octave.  Found a pair of lineman's cutters I had left
there a year before, sitting on the keys.  Must be something with repairing
strings and brain-freeze with me!

Any other lost and found stories you'd like to share?

Ron Koval

Chicagoland