projection

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:47:17 -0600

Greetings Howard,
                            Power output is a function of how effeciently
the energy is transfered from the key to the string.   ( Flame suit on, I
know over simplification)
Poor centre pinning waste a lot of energy, a critical amount of flange
friction is needed to keep the knuckle in contact with the balancier.
(typically about 4-5 swings)
Next time you find a thin sounding note in the killer octave, try changing
the centre pin before resorting to other methods, you will get a real suprise.
I also forgot to mention, the action frames are soft wood on these
instruments, and key bedding can be a major issue on projection.  This is
another area where some of the energy gets lost.
I have re hammered and shanked many of this model, believe me it is a very
different piano with Abel hammers and Tokawai shank's.   Bigger and warmer
sound.

Another change for  Phil, Mapes are now making the bass strings.

Regards Roger