Jumping tuning pins

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 06:20:46 -0600

Don,

Sounds like the pins are loose in the block. Since there are only a dozen, I
would replace with a larger size pin. Be sure to support the block with a
jack while driving in the new pins.

CA glue might work, and it might be the kind of piano where a quick fix
would be the only thing appropriate. Depends on the rest of the piano.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

mailto:jformsma@dixie-net.com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of DBee840388@AOL.COM
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 7:57 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Jumping tuning pins

To the list - I ran into the worst case of jumping pins that I have ever
seen
today on an old Hardman grand.  A4 was only 6 cents flat at start and when
pulling to pitch a good dozen would jump up and then when setting the pins,
those suckers would drop out of site.  What the heck causes this and is
there
any easy remedy?  CA? Sandpaper shims?  Repining?  Don Bee, Chicago