Baldwin key bushing removal

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 07:47:43 -0500

I use a flattened upright hammer shank, sanded much like a screwdriver.
This goes through a hole in a baby food jar to rest in the glue but the
hole is just large enough for the shank to go through so the excess glue is
squeegeed off the shank.  The flattened part of the shank determines how
much glue you get.  The hole in the jar helps prevent evaperation and
skimming.  Just remove the jar from the hot water and put a holeless lid on
it.  It will keep for weeks and weeks and can be put into the microwave for
ten to twenty seconds and you have glue ready to go, almost instantly.

Use the stick to put the glue on, smooth it out and scrape off any excess.

You will still have to check for glue at the end of the bushing cloth.

I use a X-acto chisel blade which also allows me to chisel off any excess
felt that gets down into the hole.

I haven't felt the need to heat cauls but I do set some weights on the
cauls (not a lot) and leave them in over night, as Ron said.  Next to no
easing BUT you need to pick your cloth so the caul fits snug in the hole
during gluing.  How snug?  Snug enough that you have to push it in but not
so snug as to split a sharp mortise.

Those mortises were cut in the key factory.  It would be wonderful to get
some of these piece so we could unbush keys more quickly, accurately and
size the holes perfectly, all with one plunge.  Anybody?!?!?!?

		Newton