Pierce Atlas Idea--Letter to L. Ashley

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:27:29 -0600

List,

I mailed the following letter today to Larry Ashley, and will let you know
if anything comes of it. Perhaps if others mail him suggestions, it will
come to pass.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

mailto:jformsma@dixie-net.com

**************
Dear Mr. Ashley:

I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing you today because I have an
idea for the future of the Pierce Piano Atlas. This good resource would be
very useful in today's computer age by having electronic access to the data
you provide. Not only would it be a good service to piano technicians and
others in the piano business, it would also provide another way for you to
make money for the resource you provide. Many of us in the piano service
community use computers exclusively to manage our customer data, so it would
be easy to market this concept to us. Having this data on the computer would
be ideal for us technicians who enter information about the pianos we
service. For example, while entering customer data, rather than having to
flip through the pages of the Atlas to find a piano's age, electronic access
would be quicker, and we could leave our printed Atlas in our service
vehicles for any reference needed in the field.

There are two ideas that come to mind. First and easier, you could publish
the book in electronic format. The format would be essentially the same as
the book is now-a list of manufacturers and serial numbers. There are
computer programs called "readers" (such as Acrobat Reader) which would be
good for this kind of data. Acrobat has a search feature, for example, which
would allow a serial number lookup for a particular brand.
A second way is to have a computer program access a database with serial
number data. The user interface could be quite simple: type in the
manufacturer's name and the serial number, and the computer could display
the date of manufacture. Oddities, such as Wurlitzer's irregular serial
numbers, could be displayed in a third window that would appear after the
search was completed in order to let the user know that the piano has
another possible date of manufacture. I am not a computer programmer, so I
do not know how difficult writing the program would be. However, Steinway
and Yamaha have pages on their web sites allowing the public to enter the
serial number and find the age of a particular piano. Therefore, the
technology exists, and could theoretically be done for all the pianos in the
Atlas.

Such a program could be distributed on a CDROM, and yearly updates to the
data could be done either by World Wide Web download (for a small fee) or
distribution of a new CD (also for a fee). Perhaps the program itself could
be available for download from the web, making a CDROM unnecessary except
for those who do not have web access.

One potential benefit that may be attractive to you is reducing or
eliminating printing costs by publishing your resource in electronic media
only. As a marketing idea, you could charge the same (very likely less,
though) for the information, but publish electronically. Not only would you
save money by eliminating the printing costs, you could produce CDROMs only
as needed-i.e., when orders are filled-and not have stock lying around
waiting for a purchaser.

Maybe these are things that you have already thought of doing, but I wanted
to write to let you know of some possibilities as we move steadily into the
"paperless" age.

Sincerely,
John M. Formsma
Piano Tuner-Technician