Re-bushing keys (was Baldwin key bushing removal)

romanop@attglobal.net romanop@attglobal.net
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:05:03 -0500

Formsma wrote:

   < Any other cool (er, hot) ideas for rebushing? Such as, what is the =
best
thingee for applying the hot hide glue?>

I purchased the Bushmaster from Pianotek about two years ago and I =
wouldn't use any other method now. There is a comprehensive description =
of the method that comes with the tool. I forget  right now who wrote =
it. It may have even been published in the Journal a few years back. The =
Accu-cauls are also the way to go ($60/set- usually need two sets per =
pin size, different clearance for front and balance. The tool itself is =
$85.) Occasionally I still use some Spurlock cauls with the Bushmaster =
if they are odd sizes. Bushings come out factory perfect. There is a =
description of making a little glue applicator. essentially, it is a =
little piece of wood that the end is cut like a caul. Cover the caul =
with a thin piece of bushing cloth that is glued with water proof glue. =
I found an old wooden key bushing caul (from Hale or Ford supply days) =
and drilled it for a hammer shank.
Dip it into the glue and if you have the consistency right, just enough =
will be applied to several mortises at just the right depth. Then the =
cloth is laid across the mortises and pushed in with the Bushmaster =
again to just the right depth. The tool cuts the cloth and a warm caul =
is inserted. There is a more waste of the cloth with this method but for =
the time savings and job results I find it more than worth the dollar or =
so of cloth it might cost me. Also, for clamping the keys, I now use =
several nylon straps (some sort of buckle for sinching tightly) to hold =
the different sections. That way there is no clamp in the way while I =
work. I protect the keys by working on a piece of scrap carpet. If they =
are ivory, I protect the ends with pipe insulation run along the fronts.

Getting involved in doing quality key bushing jobs takes a considerable =
investment in tools, supplies, and practice (much like many other =
aspects of piano technology).

Phil Romano
Myrtle Beach, SC
romanop@attglobal.net