Understanding the Prinicples was Re: The Bad News

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 18:10:07 -0600

on 3/17/01 5:04 PM, Richard Wolff at r.a.wolff@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> What I don't know about
> tuning would fill several books, but I have figured this much out: anyone
> who trys to make a career of this without a thorough understanding of the
> principles is going to be very frustrated, along with his clients.

Boy, isn't this the truth!

I had a bizarre experience yesterday. I was just turning onto my street,
almost home for the day, when my mobile phone rang, delivering a voice mail
from one of the manufacturer techs in California. Seems a lone wolf tech had
a disassembled damper lift tray that he could not put back together after 2
days of trying and much time on the phone with the manufacturer. I was asked
to please go out and put the thing together. I got home, returned the call,
had the tech bulletin faxed to me, and was out the door on my rescue
mission. I had never heard of this KC tech even though he said he had been
tuning for years. I figured out an assembly sequence that would work and had
the thing together in a few minutes. I could go on a bit about the clueless
tech, but I came away from the situation with a refreshed appreciation for
the community of techs, the PTG, and specifically this pianotech e-mail
forum on which a description of dealing with these damper lift trays has
been written up more than once.

Thanks, everyone.

Kent Swafford

PS -- Richard, after over 20 years, what I don't know about tuning can, and
does, _still_ fill many, many books.   :)   The time never comes when you
shouldn't still be learning something new.

KES