Accu-Tune :( [revisited]

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:17:01 -0600

>... as long as significant numbers amoung our
>ranks hang on to concepts like "Its the end result that counts...
>not whether the tooner has a brain"...
>... and hey... who was it who said not so long ago...
>--
>Richard Brekne
>RPT, N.P.T.F.

Dear Richard, List,

Your continued comments along these lines have bothered me ever since you
reopened this pet peeve of yours, as well as your indirect reference
concerning someone else's judgment.  I wanted to respond, but at the time I
had nothing constructive to offer of value.

Today, something came to me that I thought was quite ironic in view of your
continued opposition to the philosophy of the 'end results do not justify
the means', 'turning a blind eye', 'one of human intellect', or whatever
other seemingly sane premise(s) you present to support you have the correct
understanding on this matter.  I do realize these comments have a certain
appeal as to having the appearance of self-evidential validity.

So, I present to you the following, that if this is indeed your position on
the matter, as I understand your comments thus far, then you, personally,
having taken the Piano Technicians Guild (PTG) tuning exam and having
accepted the results of passing it are basically in direct violation, in a
manner of speaking, of your continued position.

The PTG tuning exam does not require an examine to support how they arrive
at the ability to pass, only that it be passed by 80% or better in all its
relevant areas.  And there is only one area where an aural requirement is
given, that being a temperament.

And as you well know, there is no one in the room during the actual exam,
so no one is judging the examine as to approach or method of madness in
producing a passing percentage.  The bottom line is whether the examine
does, in fact, pass by that 80% in all the areas.  This is what's known as
an end result.

In light of this information, how do you reconcile embracing the title of
Registered Piano Technician (RPT), when in fact the PTG tuning exam does
not require such evidences as you propose constitute a real piano tuner?

And how do you reconcile being associated among the ranks of other RPTs',
of which you willingly became a member by taking the examinations, with the
full knowledge that this association did not in the past require, and does
not now require, all the others who currently bear the title RPT, and those
to come who will bear that title, to demonstrate what you deem so vital for
credibility?

Respectfully submitted,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician