glue storage

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:09:40 -0600

You can get a pot that just heats with a control to vary temp (K-Mart,
Wal-Mart). About $10-15.  Use a cooking thermometer and set it at 145
yourself (mark the spot on dial and re-check again later).  I cut a hole in
the top to screw in a jar (suspended in the water), then put a small baby
food jar over it (lip inside of other lip) to keep covered.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Stephen Birkett
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2001 11:53 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: glue storage

David asked, continuing the glue saga:
> To what temperature are the standard supply house glue pots designed to
heat
> the glue.

I have no idea what is kosher for off-the-shelf glue pots. The ones I've
tested, though, were way too hot for my liking.

I use a plastic coffee-percolator with a set-back thermostat designed to
keep the coffee hot after it is made. The temp. is just right. Another
one I have, of precisely the same model, is a shade on the hot side,
about 10 F hotter than the other one. Now, at $12.99 from K-Mart, i guess
I shouldn't complain. To boot, I get a really nice flower pattern on the
side of the pot to brighten up the shop decor.

Stephen

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228