Accu-Tune/aural

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 23:09:58 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Don <drose@dlcwest.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: Accu-Tune/aural

> Hi Richard
>
> Nice post about the why. I believe you missed a point or two. If you
are
> trying to tune a unison with an etd I believe most persons would
mute all
> but one string to do so. This prevents the strings from "coupling".
When
> the two or three strings are unmuted the pitch of the first tuned
string
> will be slightly different.
>
> This effect can be duplicated aurally. Tune a middle string (or
accept it
> as a given). Next tune the bass side wire to the middle with the
treble
> string muted. Now move the mute to the bass side and tune the treble
> string. Finally pull out the mute and listen to the (shabby) result.
Often,
> even with a "performance" level piano the result will be a poor
unison.

Hmmm I don't have this experience, rather the opposite.  For
performance tunings I tune the outside string to the middle string,
then the other outside string to the middle string, then listen to the
three strings.  I find I get better unisons doing this than tuning the
outside string to the middle string and then the other outside string
to the two strings tuned.  If I don't like the unison I repeat tuning
each outside string to the middle string.   Sometimes the problem is
one string slipped.  So I check the middle string  to the temperament.
If I still don't like, I find two strings that are the best unison and
tune the third to those.  ---ric