It Doesn't Matter

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:42:28 -0500

Especially to Leo:

In many ways I would agree with you and so would most of the members of my
chapter of the Washington, D.C. chapter of the PTG.  If you could properly
tune a piano by throwing it against a wall, and the result pass our tests,
you would be welcomed as an RPT in our chapter.  I think it is pretty well
standard in the PTG, that if you earn money tuning and servicing pianos, we
would like to have you in the Piano Technicians Guild.  We would invite you
into our professional society to learn from your experiences and enable you
to learn from ours.

In order to recommend your services to the general public, and to recommend
you to our dearest clients when we might be unable to personally render
piano services, we insist that you be a known quantity.  We do that by
giving some exams in piano tuning, repair and regulation.  We have worked
hard over the years to make these exams as standardized as possible and all
they really demonstrate is a minimal proficiency that we think someone who
is charging money for these services ought to be capable of.  Yes, we
disagree on some of the things the exams test for, but we all had to take
these tests, and more than once in the field, I was grateful that I had to
minimally learn a certain skill on the test to keep from looking foolish
when it really counted.

We would also ask that you practice honest business principles.  After all,
the PTG wants to establish  a standard for piano service, and that is why we
organized in the first place.  We wanted our members to be thought of as
honest and competent by both the general public and the piano manufacturers.
There is nothing magic about RPT status - it just means that you subjected
your professional skills to peer review.  If you were in need of a
professional service, and did not know anyone personally in that field,
would you not feel more comfortable hiring someone with M.D., CPA or Board
Certified attached to their names?  Doesn't it make you more comforable
knowing that the mechanic who installed the brakes in your car had that ASE
certificate displayed in the garage?  Are you comfortable with Jiffy Lube
servicing your car?

Yes, our system is not always perfect, but our association with one another
increases our knowlege base, promotes comraderie, establishes a rapport with
piano manufacturers, provides opportunities to learn and continue learning
this trade, and gives the general public something better than nothing in
recommending competent piano service.  Yes, it does matter.

Carol Beigel, RPT
Greenbelt, Maryland