Fix what's not broke?

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:17:57 -0600

Yes, replace them.  The piano will have far more value when the job is
finished.  With the glue joints all made from hide glue and the with the history
of the piano's climate unknown there is a measurable doubt that these components
will last another 25 years let alone another 115.  It is remarkable and
admirable that the piano has held up so well for so long and the craftsman who
built it 115 years ago are to be commended.  It would however be a "better safe
than sorry" policy to go ahead and do the works.  It is a good bet that the
bridge pins are weak, and pounding the next sized tuning pins into a block this
old can very well give it the incentive it needs to start coming apart.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV