Not everyone is welcome !

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 22:22:53 -0600

>> *Anyone* may join PTG.
>

> This is incorrect I have a friend who was going to join the Pittsburgh
> chapter of the PTG.  This chapter requires an interview and then they vote as
>
> to if they are going to accept you as an associate member.  They also give a
> written test to accept associate members.  He informed the me that they told
> him that after the test and the interview that they are asked to leave the
> meeting and not return until the are voted in or out.

Interesting, and disturbing. We have usually taken the acceptance vote with the
applicant in the room, as just another rather informally handled procedural
step. No written test. It seems to take the process out of the realm of the
"tribunal", and make it a lot more human. I think it's important for everyone
involved to face one another and be prepared to voice cause (just or glandular)
as this sort of thing is done, but that's the way I'd like to see most
everything done. It's comforting (my opinion), and altogether too bloody rare
(my opinion again) to have some solid public indication of where everyone
stands and why, when the dust has settled. Light of day seems to have a more
profound effect on procedural machinations than any other factor I have
identified.

Ron N