Randy Potter School Students and Alumni

Charles Neuman cneuman@phy.duke.edu
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:10:30 -0500 (EST)

"Dave Nereson" <dnereson@dimensional.com> wrote:

> Five bps is approximately "Minneapolis" pronounced slowly...
> Seven beats a second is approximately "from Chicago to New York" =

Hey, those are neat. I'll have to explore those.

It reminds me of this: Here's a way to learn to play three-on-four: "Pass
the gosh darn butter!"  If you are playing a triplet in the left hand,
say, and four beats in the right hand, then both hands would play on the
word "Pass", and then they'd alternate each word. If you play it over and
over and get used to it, then you can eventually learn to HEAR it
intuitively. It's fun.

As for hearing beat rates, I just calculate how fast the metronome should
click so that it's four beats to a click, set it at the right spot, and
then try my best to feel if the beating is at the right rate. I'm a
beginning tuner, and I wanted to get results without having to memorize
the rates. I'm sure with experience I'll learn some of the rates by heart.

Charles Neuman
Plainview, NY
PTG Associate (just joined!)