Fix what's not broke?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:19:07 EST

NoteJB: the following was written in response to a question concerning
replacing bridges, board and block in a 115 year old S&S. Bear in mind that
the original poster has stated that the board, bridges and block were all in
excellent condition and were performing very well. I am responding partially
because of an M&H I looked at yesterday and partially the seemingly more and
more prevalent attitude of 'put a new one in the old one can't be any
good'.......'or won't be any good for much longer'.............(sic)

<<"Yes, replace them.  The piano will have far more value when the job is
finished.">>
Is this a "given"? On what 'objective' criteria is this comment based?

<<"  With the glue joints all made from hide glue and the with the history
of the piano's climate unknown there is a measurable doubt that these
components
will last another 25 years let alone another 115.">>

 An S&S thingee of this age is 'all' hide glue joints....isn't it? If it is
true that the joints in the board/bridge are suspect...isn't it equally true
that the joints in the rim/cheeks/keybed are equally suspect?  Do we confine
our "measurable doubt" to only those items which we 'know how' to replace?
How is this "doubt" "measured"?

<<" It is remarkable and
admirable that the piano has held up so well for so long and the craftsman who
built it 115 years ago are to be commended.">>

Absolutely agree!

<<"It would however be a "better safe
than sorry" policy to go ahead and do the works.  It is a good bet that the
bridge pins are weak,">>

Depending on what the "works" means I would agree. Replace and/or refurbish
action/keys I most certainly agree. Replace board and
bridges?........wellllll probably not and this based on the techs evaluation
of the thingees performance at the time of his evaluation.
 The salient points of performance for a board, old or new, are: sustain
time, volume and clarity. When all of these are present, and in they are in
acceptable ranges, then the board is acceptable. This particular board and
this particular techs evaluation of same say that the board is in outstanding
condition using these criteria......................What more could you ask
of a "new" board? How many "new" boards have we seen that fail fairly
quickly? Will the "new" board last 115 years?  Can the old board be as
efficient as reported to be if the bridges were in bad shape/loose pins?

<<"pounding the next sized tuning pins into a block this
old can very well give it the incentive it needs to start coming apart.">>
 This is a point of agreement and I would have no quarrel with either
decision, replace or not replace, depending on close examination of the
block. If it is a three section block I would replace it... period........if
it is a 5 section block it would depend on the current performance/integrity.

 There of course is plenty of room for agreement & disagreement in this area
and all opinions are valid in their holders' opinion! :-)

 As for the M&H (AA) I mentioned at the beginning of this
response.................
 It was donated to a local Church by a lady whose family had owned it since
it was new. The Lady had thought about getting it rebuilt and keeping it in
the family but had been told by two techs in the local area that it needed a
new board. She didn't want to put that much money into the piano so she
donated it to her church.  When I examined the piano yesterday I did not know
the reason for the donation........just that the church wanted to have the
thingee evaluated.
 What I found was a board that had crown throughout, whose bridges contained
not a 'single' crack, which had tremendous bass power and much, much more
than average sustain time throughout the scale................replace this
board? Not me.

 I don't know what caused the "replace board" advice from the other two techs
(I don't know who they were) but based on what I found it could not have been
based on 'any' "objective" criteria.

 I try to keep in mind that just because I 'can' do it doesn't mean that I
'should' do it. I try to keep in mind that the order of priority in my work
is........ Piano first, Customer second and then me...small case. :-) If I am
honest with all three all will be well.
My Views.
 JIm Bryant (FL)