Tapered vs non-tapered shanks

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 23:31:00 -0000

What's the recent thinking on tapered vs non-tapered shanks.  I frequently
use Renner's shanks which are tapered in the upper range.  But sometimes I
will use Abel shanks for various reasons which are tapered through the set.
I recall reading an article some years ago which addressed this issue.  It
suggested that the best approach is to have the heaviest hammers supported
by the thickest shank to minimize deflection.  Thus as the hammers get
lighter the shank can/should be thinner and lighter.  Sounds logical.  Yet,
no one makes a set quite like this.  Renner's only vary in the upper end of
the piano.  Abel's do not vary at all.  Appreciate any feedback .

David Love