sandwiched soundboards

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:39:48 -0500

>  > Well its obvious to me that twice the soundboard twice the sound...;-]
>  >
>  > David I.
>
>If the two soundboards are coupled together, I would suspect that the
>second acts more like a damping device, sucking out and dissipating the
>energy of the strings more quickly.
>
>Jim Coleman, Sr.

Unless of course the second actually stiffens the first in which case
it would be increasing its impedance, and thus slowing the rate of
transfer from the strings to the first board. I seem to remember
about 6-8 years ago a Journal article about a Bauer upright with a
double soundboard. I'd bet they were trying to copy the resonating
chamber of a violin or guitar.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

".......true more in general than specifically"
     ...........Lenny Bruce, spoofing a radio discussion of the Hebrew
roots of Calypso music