appraisal of your business

Tom j Armstrong pianostom@juno.com
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:43:24 -0800

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tom j Armstrong <PianosTom@juno.com>
To: yardbird@vermontel.net
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:12:19 -0800
Subject: Re: FMV appraisal of your business

I recently went through a divorce.  Business value can be a murky area of
divorce.  The street value of a business is one thing, but a court may
rely more on an accountant.  The legal value of a business is commonly
determined not so much by what it could be sold for, but by using common
accounting protocols.

In my particular circumstance, there was not a large amount of physical
property, such as a building or massive inventory.  My business was
developed mostly while I was married, however, making my former wife the
part owner.  I have no other employees, and my wife did some work in the
past, mostly helping with appointment scheduling, etc.

The "goodwill" value of the business will possibly be the primary item of
value.  In my area (California) accountants calculate the value by first
approximating what could be earned if working as an employee for a music
store or institution  doing similar work.  Multiply that annual salary by
two or three.  Then take your net income (after business expenses) for
the last two or three years.  The difference between the two numbers is a
approximate business goodwill value.  Add in the real value of inventory
and equipment, buildings, vehicles, etc, and that would be the way an
accountant would come to appraise a business. Depending on the complexity
of the business, they will charge one or two thousand dollars to do this.

Your attorney can help you determine if it should be divided equally
between the two of you.  I realize that the value reached this way may
seem high to you.  In my experience, it would be difficult to "sell" a
business for an amount approaching these figures, so some realism needs
to come into focus.  Most of us have our reputations, experience, and a
list of names of customers.  The area we live in (desirability and
competition), and the ability of a buyer to pay is probably going to keep
the realistic resale value far less than even one year's net income.  I
don't recall any advertisements in the PTG Journal over 40K for a small
piano tech business, and I assume that they do not always fetch what they
are asking.

I was quite fearful of this aspect of the property settlement.  I
recommend that the accountants and attorneys be kept away as much as
possible, and that you and your estranged spouse negotiate a fair amount
if possible.  If you are going to be paying spousal or child support,
remind your spouse that you don't want to kill the goose laying the
golden eggs. If too high an amount is assessed, I would sell everything,
split it up, and relocate an hour or more away.

I was married for 23 years.  My divorce was surely the most painful and
scary experience I've encountered.  My faith in God, support from friends
and family, and competent legal representation enabled me to survive and
grow, as well as eventually reach an out of court agreement that worked
out reasonably well, even though at great cost.  Rather than have the
legal system gobble up everything we had, financially and emotionally, we
finally learned that neither one of us would be getting what we wanted.
I highly recommend reconciliation if at all possible and avoiding
divorce.  I also highly recommend the book "Growing Through Divorce", by
Jim Smoke (1995, Harvest House Publishers) available through Amazon.com.