It Doesn't Matter

Richard Wolff r.a.wolff@worldnet.att.net
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 19:02:48 -0600

Greg, how old are your girls?  I would be asking a lot of questions about
the Alabama school system if your children are young, unless you are
thinking about putting them into a private school.  As far as asking for a
sign, get in line! :)   I've changed jobs recently after many years at the
same place, and I sympathize with you about the awful feeling of uncertainty
when contemplating a decision like this.  Continue to gather information
about the people you will be working with, hopefully from a variety of
sources to give you a balanced set of opinions about the situation.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Newell" <gnewell@ameritech.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 2:31 PM
Subject: Re: It Doesn't Matter

Ron and list,
    All kidding aside you bring up something here that is now, whether I
like it
or not, part of a decision I have to make in my life. I have the opportunity
become the piano tuner/ technician for the University of Alabama in
Tuscaloosa. I
just spent the last 3 days there and part of my concern is a possible racial
component. I spent the last month before I went asking friends, customers,
family
and others what they thought about Alabama or if they knew anything at all
about
the state. I personally found the people to be friendly and the area MUCH in
need
of an experienced technician. I just don't know if it feels like home or
not. I
really don't have to move for any reason but the offer would add security to
sometimes fragile balance of budgets.
    Currently I'm doing my own thing in the Cleveland, Ohio area which is
not at a
loss for piano techs form the sheer number of us. Not all are top notch but
in an
increasingly tight economy ... well, people do stray. I haven't seen the
numbers
yet for the salary they will be offering but I believe it's roughly national
average. (Can anyone confirm what that is?)  I would have 80-85 pianos, 3
harpsichords and one fortepiano and would have my own rebuilding room/office
which
would eventually be supplied with a full compliment of tools and supplies. I
would
be creating a new position which was never really fully defined or fully
utilized.
The pianos need a fair amount of work and accreditation happens early next
year.
It is a priority to have the pianos up to snuff. The usual bennies are
available
like Blue Cross and Blue Shield, retirement, sick days, vacation days, help
for
the conventions may be possible, flexible schedule ..... well you know, the
usual.

    I wish that the choice were obvious. Either this was just too good to
pass up
and my own business were failing or, the opposite but that just isn't the
case.
Wife and girls are willing if not pushing me into it. I'm just not sure. I
would
be, according to the head of the college of music, the local hero based upon
the
tunings he heard from me and the evaluations and quick repairs on some
ongoing
troubles they had when I got there. I would automatically be the tuner for
the
local Orchestra and the jazz ensemble and any artist booked there. All calls
for a
tuner (he says daily (?) ) would come to me and there is plenty of outside
work to
be had if I want it in my flexible schedule. Almost sounds too good to be
true,
no? I've no doubt that I could make a good living even with the local price
of a
tuning being only $50. The cost of living is much lower.
    I need a sign! Send me a sign!  :>) I just can't seem to make up my
mind. I'm
not usually the type for relocating and I never really went looking for this
but
........ it's here now and I have to decide. Any thoughts?

--
Greg Newell
Greg's Piano Forté