Who's this?

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 06:24:52 -0600

Bill Ballard wrote:

> I'm curious as to why someone who does such extensive restoration on
> BMWs, and owns (if not is just part of the race crew of) a yacht
> should choose to take such a bath on the piano. Reserve bid of $1550,
> really! And is the seller really the owner? And did he really get
> releases from all those babes to post their pictures on the net?

The $1550 is not the price of the piano, only the current bid.  The reserve
has not yet been met.  I would guess the reserve is somewhere around six
thousand or so.  It only says the piano has been restrung.  Other than
damper work it sounds like the action still has original parts which have
been reconditioned, (i.e. reshaped hammers, etc).  I imagine that the
finish is original and has probably been cleaned up and has had repairs
done to it.  In effect the piano has been "reconditioned".  Being
"restored" is probably a bit of an exaggeration but I'm not debating that.
Then a player was added to make it more sellable and bring a better price.
I'm betting the tech picked the piano up somewhere for next to nothing.  It
appears to be in a garage which would suggest this person does this kind of
thing on the side and is really more of a home tuning tech.  This would fit
the profile.  No, I say we have a real RPT here who took this picture at
home.  I think we have a mystery tech here.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV