ETD Unisons was something else

Don Rose drose@dlcwest.com
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 16:25:37 -0600

Hi Richard,

My point is that current edt's can't do wonderful unisons. We as visual
tuners don't yet know whether it is the loudest partial that should be beat
free (zero?)--or the *highest* partial that should be beat free--or if it
is something else....I'm beat up now *grin*. Or perhaps Zorro will come
visit me? *double grin*.

Weighted averaging of partials on unisons?

At 05:57 PM 03/24/2001 +0100, you wrote:

>er... grin.. of course not. But since an ETD s only listens to one partial
at a
>time I am not sure I understand your point.
>
>> I believe the ear *locks* onto the loudest partial and that an aural
>> unison is a composite sound where the ear tries to balance all the partials
>> to the limits of it's resolution. Coupling muddies the waters of this. For
>> an edt to do this it would have to simultaniously measure 8 to 16
>> partials--and do some sort of "balanced" display of them all. And it would
>> have to have the resolution to listen to *2* such partial ladders. (3 would
>> be better)
>
>Ah... I think I see what you are getting at... but why would you want the
ETD to
>copy the ears way of tuning unisons in the first place ?

Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.xoasis.com/

3004 Grant Rd.