ETD Unisons was something else

Sun, 25 Mar 2001 00:07:08 +0100

Don Rose wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> My point is that current edt's can't do wonderful unisons. We as visual
> tuners don't yet know whether it is the loudest partial that should be beat
> free (zero?)--or the *highest* partial that should be beat free--or if it
> is something else....I'm beat up now *grin*. Or perhaps Zorro will come
> visit me? *double grin*.

Well... <chuckle> (a new one...!!) I wont argue that particular point. But then in
the end they dont do "wonderful" tunings either,  probably for much the same
reasons.

Long week ?

> Weighted averaging of partials on unisons?

Interesting thought.... I wonder tho if there is any real way of mathamatically
modeling unisons any better then one can a tuning. One can come close, but there
is that little something left that cant be predicted, only resolved at the time of
the doing as it were. And if one could do these, wouldnt that imply that Fairchild
was right after all way back when... that there exists indeed a "one single way"
of tuning all pianos ?

But I digress into whimsical philosophy and I can already hear Rons footsteps in
the background. :) I have enjoyed your thoughts on this Don, you always make me
think things through and you do so in the nicest of ways.

Now I suppose I will leave you to beat off Zorro and I will return to planet Xenon
for a few days.

Gerstophelsaletenisteinegodtingasummenzielicthedaspotetenunddressing. :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.