Fw: SAT III vs. Reyburn CyberTuner

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 12:02:05 -0800

David

   wow. Your post brings up a problem  that I've been aware of for some
time(years)  I think there is a real shortage of opportunities to
mentor/apprentice to nail down aural tuning skills. I feel spoiled in
retrospect to have had two excellent tuners(My Dad and Mr. Dick Hamlett)
that were available and willing to tutor.  It occurs to me that somehow the
aural tuners and those seeking aural skills help devise a resource pool to
pass along what others passed along to us(me).  Otherwise there will be a
slow decline in excellent aural skilled tuners that pianist can depend on.
Yeah,Yeah we are all soooo busy but I'm training one and also have two sons
who may choose this.  The main ingredients to this being successful are
time,patience and a teachable,willing and studious student. Without those 3
don't begin.
     I enjoyed Phil Bondis post (go Phil) and his self effacing sharing of
his learning curve. I could really relate!
    As AN aural tuner for the first 11 years of my career I can honestly say
that incorporating the S.A.T. into my life not only improved my speed but
DRAMATICALLY improve my hammer technique which was already producing stable
tunings.  It definitely has its place as a teaching aid. The s.a.t. also
allowed me to tune more pianos,less fatigue but most of all it was a friend
that made tuning fun and saved my hearing for the fine stuff  Love that
pitch raise calculator..
   Lastly as a tuning examiner(no not official) but have given  many yrs. of
test I have seen so many fail the first time (as you have David)and become
discouraged.  My suggestion to local chapters is to take time to
prepare/mentor and prescreen applicants so they are given a fighting chance
of success.
  Sincerely

 Dale Erwin