sandwiched soundboards

Sun, 25 Mar 2001 23:32:36 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Ballard" <yardbird@vermontel.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 22, 2001 5:39 PM
Subject: Re: sandwiched soundboards

> Unless of course the second actually stiffens the first in which case
> it would be increasing its impedance, and thus slowing the rate of
> transfer from the strings to the first board. I seem to remember
> about 6-8 years ago a Journal article about a Bauer upright with a
> double soundboard. I'd bet they were trying to copy the resonating
> chamber of a violin or guitar.
>
> Bill Ballard RPT

I have made reference to J. Bauer pianos in several of my Journal articles.
They did not have double soundboards, they had ribs on each side of a single
soundboard. These ribs were each about 1/3 'normal' height and paralleled
each other. In other words, the rib on top of the soundboard was exactly in
line with the rib on the bottom of the soundboard. Excellent thinking on the
part of old Julius. And not at all like a double soundboard.

ddf