never say never..kinda long

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:34:10 EST

Carl Meyer writes:
<<I do want to make you a sporting proposition.  You get all the RPTs that

have not taken the test in its present form to take the test and those that

fail are downgraded to associate.  Then I will take the test. >>

Greetings,
   Why?  Why is your decision based on the obviously unrealistic, retro
actions of others?  Are you saying you will only submit your work to the
critique and judgement of your peers if you are first convinced that their
standards meet your proffessed ones?  Sounds like a cop-out to me, but to
each his own.
   You will not score a perfect score on the tuning tests, you will not get a
trophy for being the best tuner the world has ever seen, you will not become
a legend with your tuning hammer.   What you will get is a different regard
for and from others that have been judged.   That may or may not be worth
anything to you, so you will have to decide whether you want to "belong" or
not. Don't fear that you are lowering your standards by being tested by
inferiors just because there are older Guild members that were admitted when
the bar was less stringently set.
   The testing is not done by hacks, and the first time a couple of CTE's
measure your tuning, you will learn more than you thought you would about
where you stack up in the world of precision tuning.  Or, you can just duck
the whole issue on the pretext that the Guild is not perfect.  Your call.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
(I will add that in 1987, I became an RPT after 22 years of non-affiliation.
Waiting, as I did, was a mistake.....)