Need info on old Knabe

Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 21:20:31 -0600

Mark=20
Glad you mentioned the shellac barrier coat. I've used it for years to =
contain contamination, but probably not as often as you do .It does =
impart a beautiful richness to the darker woods as you said.

Paul Chick
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: bases-loaded@juno.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 12:06 PM
  Subject: Re: Need info on old Knabe

  HI Wim -

  =20

  As an added precaution, you might consider a 2-lb cut of de-waxed =
shellac brushed on the surface (or spray two 1-lb cuts) as a good =
adhesion coat and contamination barrier.  Shellac is wonderful when used =
this way with the water-based products.  It all but eliminates adhesion =
problems, and also is extremely flattering to woods like mahogany, =
rosewood, and walnut, something that some water-based products lack. =20

  Shellac also is completely compatible with solvent-based lacquer, and =
I routinely used shellac as the initial clear coats when I sprayed =
nitrocellulose lacquer.  I continue that practice today with water-based =
lacquers in almost every instance. =20

  There's really not a compelling reason not to...

  Mark Potter
  bases-loaded@juno.com

  On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:33:42 -0600 "Paul" <tunenbww@clear.lakes.com> =