Fw: Rebuilding Candidate

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 23:38:52 -0600

>1) There is a market resistance line for these pianos which jiggles between
>$4500 and maybe $8000 which makes it really hard to justify the amount of
>work and materials that the piano deserves. Perhaps this is just a Chicago
>market phenomenon, but I suspect that it has analogues elsewhere. I wish it
>were not true, because it truly would open up a whole lot of new business for
>those who do speculative rebuilding (not including me right now, but you
>never know).

1) Most of the buying public will never know the difference between
"quality", and "sparkley", and will fall back on the "sparkley"/price
equation in an attempt to protect themselves from the faux sparlkey
overpricermarketers their mothers warned them about. Since the crowd they
run with has no better clue, the people in their lives who'se opinions
matter to them will feel the same way and support their choice of
sparkleys. Remember, like in the universities, the impression of - etc, is
the same as the reality of...

>2) I've forever had a thing about the word "remanufacturing"; it has always
>sounded too factory-like and cold.

2) "Resurrection" implies the repetition of original mistakes, whereas
"Made Again" might carry an altogether different set of unwholesome
connotations. "Encore" seems to be milking it, while "Deja Vu" is a tad
surrealistic. "Deaux" smacks of the village idiom, while "Reconstituted"
sounds like something that was originally grown in (and discarded by)
Florida. "Rebuilt" could as easily apply to shocks or carburetors, and
"Refurbished" already has an established reputation nobody cares to touch
with a ten foot concept. "Enlivened" might work in certain exclusive
sections of coastal towns where drug usage is particularly heavy,  but
"Revitalized" is almost guaranteed to fail wherever it's tried. "Retread"
has some potential in the South, but not at the prices necessary to make it
attractive to the seller. "Born again" is apparently acceptable, but you
would have to give the thing away along with everything else, so it doesn't
support the capitalistic spirit all that well. How about "Rendered less bad
by (insert name here)"? I understand truth in advertising is making a
comeback in some circles. The more able and unshakable could try
"Perfected", "Enhanced", "Wonderfulled", "Improved", "Re-engineered",
"Mutated", "Evolved", "Spiffed", "Transmogrified", "Resomethingorothered",
"Gooderized", "Improved", "Enhanced", "Enabled", "Bettered", "Illuminated",
or just "Fixed". Personally, I kind of like "remanufacturing". It implies
that we're not entirely tied down to "chiseled in stone" poor design
decisions, and can make a few of our own hopefully better than poor design
decisions along the road to "Betterizement".

>More thoughts?
>PR-J

Not for me, thanks. I'm full.

Ron N