never say never..kinda long

Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:55:23 +0200

Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

> Er....  ah...  ahem.....  cough, cough....  {and harumph, for good measure}
>
>   I don't think of either you or myself as being terrifically old.   I
> joined in 1978 as an RTT and, as near as I can figure out, am still tuning
> actively. <g>

Yes... that is a difficult one to come to grips with Conrad. But at some point we
simply have to look in the mirror and admit that we are not young 20 yearold bucks
anymore. Im pushing 50, and tho thats not terribly old, and still leaves plenty of
room to respect my elders with, its still quite a ways on there from 25 years ago.
Lets face it, hair is showing signs of greying,,,, its a good deal thinner then it
was, more aches and pains,,harder to keep off the extra pounds, ears are getting
clogged with all that ear hair... well I could go on but you get the point.

> I have repeatedly stated that I would be willing to take the standardized
> exam.  If I thought that doing so would actually put somebody's money where
> their mouth is, I would.  So far I've never seen anyone with a pecuniary
> embouchure.

The test is interesting in itself... well worth taking for the simple experience
of taking it. As for what it says about your "level" of tuning.... whatever it
says is only worthwhile to you really. It is not really constructed to measure
certifiable proffesional skills at any high level,,,, it is far  to easy to be
used as such.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.