never say never..kinda long

Tue, 27 Mar 2001 04:38:50 -0600

Richard, Bill,
At 08:55 03/27/2001 +0200, you wrote:
I said,
> > I have repeatedly stated that I would be willing to take the standardized
> > exam.

>The test is interesting in itself... well worth taking for the simple
>experience
>of taking it.
>--
>Richard Brekne

>You may have read that doing so will benefit you personally.  It's true.
>Bill Bremmer RPT

Confession time.

To be the most accurate, I should say complete/retake the test.  I
attempted the test at a regional seminar at DeKalb, Ill (former home of
Wurlitzer) back in the early '80s.  The only problem was that I had come
down with a nasty cold.  Colds are sentient beings - they know where best
to attack.  If you are a vocalist, they go for the throat: if you are a
piano tuner, they go for the head/ears.

My ears were so stuffed, I didn't recognise my own voice, but since I had
already paid for the exam I gave it the ol' college try.   Yes, I was
easily into CTE territory until I got to the top octave.  That is where the
cold really struck.  I believe that I was >50¢ off on ONE note.  Arrrgh!!!

Benefit?  As a ( then much younger) aural tuner, I realised I couldn't
always use "dead reckoning", and have since always used many, many more
checks before I consider the tuning complete.  Brashness of youth meets
reality...

> >   I don't think of either you or myself as being terrifically old.
>
>Yes... that is a difficult one to come to grips with Conrad. But at some
>point we
>simply have to look in the mirror and admit that we are not young 20
>yearold bucks
>anymore. Im pushing 50,

I broke that durn mirror, abandoned my razor to hide from reality and can
still see my toes without bending over, but I don't consider 55 a speed
limit.  My main problem is that my IQ and my age are rapidly converging...

Conrad Hoffsommer - Luther College, Decorah, IA - where,
       -if it matters to you, the area code is now 563.

Usually I try to take it one day at a time, but lately several have
attacked me at once...