Schulze Pollmann - new scale design!

Charles Neuman cneuman@phy.duke.edu
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:47:06 -0500 (EST)

For any Schulze Pollmann enthusiasts out there, I have some interesting
news. I went back to my dealer to play a S-P again (I'm shopping for a
vertical), and I noticed some differences in the new S-P 50" verticals.

Most notably, the cabinet is wider. That could mean nothing, I thought,
having heard of such cosmetic changes from Fine's book. However, I noticed
that the plate filled the entire width of the inside of the cabinet,
meaning that the plate must be wider, too. Furthermore, there wasn't extra
space between the tuning pins and the edge of the plate, which rules out
the possibility that it's basically the same plate, but just a little
wider. In other words, it looked like evidence of a new scale design!
Also, I noticed agraffes on the bass strings all the way up through the
mid treble, where previous models just had pins for the bass and a bar for
the treble.

Most importantly, the piano sounds terrific! The bass is much more
powerful.

I contacted the distributor, and they confirmed that they have redesigned
the scale and that the bass strings are longer! They said they think it's
a 25% improvement in the sound. I'd say it's at least a 50% improvement in
the bass sound. In fact, I'd say it's one of the best verticals on the
market, and certainly the best value. Now I just gotta get one.

Charles Neuman
Plainview, NY