Red Chinese Pianos

joegum joegum@webtv.net
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:26:03 -0500 (EST)

<<<Hi Joe
I worked in China at Chang Ping and in Beijing in piano factories
between 1991 and 93. So I guess I can answer your questions a little.
The piano factories do not use "forced labour, political prisoners and
other prisoners of conscience as a slave workforce" >>>>  Hi Tony.  I'm
glad to learn this from some one who saw first hand.  That really is all
I was after.   i have grave concerns over human rights in China.  I'm
sorry if this offended you, but I just don't trust the Chinese regime to
respect their "human resources."           <<<<You would think that the
workers would want to be making the high standard goods at a higher pay
(about 80% higher), many try it and then go back to the state owned side
of the business because they can't stand the pressure. >>>>   Decades of
fostered dependency will take it's toll on the psyche, I guess.  The
poor folks have been conditioned to under-achieve.  I suppose those at
the top feel safer that way.   Btw, when you say "state owned side of
the business," are you referring to the piano business or joint ventures
in general?
<<<<If something is wrong, tell them, that's the only way they will
learn. That is if someone is interested in improving what ever.>>>>  And
are you sure that the workers  won't be retaliated against?
<<<<In Australia just recently, a big stink about the morgues etc
removing organs from bodies at will for experimentation without the
consent of the next of kin etc. BAD BAD BAD. But if that happened in
China and the human rights people heard about it you will get the
stories that you have read about.>>>>   Tony, you came to my rescue over
the "twisted strings" thing, and I thank you again, but I must
respectfully disagree.  With the state sponsored horrors occurring in
China,  I doubt that something like that would even be mentioned.
<<<<Now I am not standing up for China but I will ask you to think. As
they already have a problem feeding there people all the time and they
can't grow more food than they are now under existing circumstances,
what would your answer to their problem be ?>>>>  If they (the regime)
have a problem feeding their "human resources", then perhaps they are
incompetent and should step aside.  Maybe... even think of a new way of
doing things....  like very limited government,  decentralization of
authority, separation of gov powers,  open the borders,  respect freedom
of thought TOTALLY,  .....oh, why must every aspect of their lives be
managed if not to prevent them from rising up and taking back their
human dignity by force?
<<<<Increase the population and let them starve to death or control the
population to avoid that from happening. ?>>>>  The problem with
controlling the population is that people are not livestock.  Live stock
do not invent, they do not innovate, they cannot tend to themselves,
they have no loyalty to extended family to help them over the rough
spots, they cannot become educated, they have no AMBITION.  These are
the things that in a FREE society enable people to continue to raise
their standard of living  even though the population keeps growing.
<<<<Look at India. Expects the population to double in the next 50 odd
years. From 1 Billion to 2 billion. What sort of pressure is that going
to put on us do gooders to feed them. ?>>>> I've never been to India.
Does India have genuine freedom?   A liberterian type society?   Minimal
gov meddling in folk's lives?
<<<<Back to pianos.>>>>  I will too, after I've read the rest of the