Pianos from far off places

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:02:44 -0600

All this talk of pianos from China got me wondering a bit.  We are all
familiar with pianos made in the U.S., Japan, Korea, and China.
Certainly Europe has it's share of manufacturers north and south along
with Russia.  What I was thinking is what about the rest of the world?
Here in the U.S. we regularly, (or at least mostly regularly) see 20-25
or so brands from the above mentioned places currently being
manufactured.  But what about South America?  Mexico, India, Africa,
Portugal, Spain, the Middle East?  (I have to admit it is difficult to
generate a mental picture of an Arab at a piano).  It is a big world out
there.  Is anyone familiar with pianos made in some of these far off
places?  If so, why haven't they made it to our shores?

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV