Speaking of learning to play the piano.....

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:26:57 -0800 (PST)

I play the piano and have been working on learning to
be a tech.  If you want to hear recordings of me
playing ask me for a URL to find them.  :)

--- Ron Torrella <rontorrella@yahoo.com> wrote:

<HR>
<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0
transitional//en">
I'm doing a technical for the Detroit-Windsor and N.
Michigan chapters,
next month, called "Symbiosis: Pianist and
Technician." The "technical"
will mostly be a discussion of what it's like being a
pianist and a technician
simultaneously......I've had lots of practice at it!
The result is that
I've managed to put together a recital program
(actually, more like two
and a half) comprised of pieces that I've been using
to tweak everything
from regulation to tuning to voicing. It's amazing
what you can learn about
a piano and what you can do with them when you're able
to make them do
more than just "thunk" and "twang." In addition to
chattering about all
of that business, I'll play portions of the recital
I've been playing (in
various arrangements and phases) for the past year.
first technical will
be this Monday, April 2, at Hammell Music in
Bloomfield Hills, MI. I think
things will get going around 8pm. If you need
directions, email me.
Michigan (including
the "Yoo-Pee"), I'll be presenting the same technical
for the Northern
Michigan Chapter on April 21st at the piano shop of
the Interlochen Arts
Camp/Academy at 2pm......I think that's what I was
told! I believe it's
that chapter's practice to meet for lunch (supper?),
beforehand. Email
vonWalthara</a> (aka Walthausen)
&lt;VONWALTHARA@INTERLOCHEN.K12.MI.US> for more
specific details.
performances and presentations,
though, are several competitions for amateurs that I
plan to enter in 2002
(Van Cliburn International Comp. for Outstanding
Amateurs) and 2003 (Gina
Bachauer International Comp. for Amateurs). It'll sure
be a different experience,
having been on both sides of the fence!! Stay tuned!
Recital on Friday, April
27th,
Baits Drive).
“Path&eacute;tique” -- L. van Beethoven