Itty Bitty Baldwin

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:12:52 -0600

>Still, the backscale is about 50% longer than it is in several somewhat
>larger grand pianos on the market, including at least one 5' 7 1/2" (171 cm)
>piano many folks rave about. It is also longer than at least one 5' 10 1/2"
>(179 cm) piano on the market. So There!

Oh no you don't. "He did it first" never worked for me as a defense. Still,
it wasn't that bad.

>Does this piano have a laminated soundboard? The original was designed with
>this in mind and the prototype using the proper laminated board sounded
>quite good with it.

I got sidetracked by the owner before I thought to look. Don't really know,
but it certainly could have.

> Only one thing has been
>consistent -- on every one I've seen, the plate has been stressed much
>higher that I would have thought possible.

Same here, around 10mm. The plate in this one looked like almost 15mm
thick. Maybe it was just a trick of perspective - small pianos are closer
than they appear, and like that, but the plate looked quite able to take
the abuse.

> do the numbers.

I did before I installed my first vertical hitch pins. It's an attention
getter.

> We have a lot of class
>time -- by the time I pass on I hope to have shared most of what I've
>learned along the way and I hope to have learned most of what others are
>willing to share. There is also a lot of pianotech time behind us all that
>wasn't available in the late 80s -- ideas get tossed around the world pretty
>fast here.

They certainly do, and I'm absorbing as fast as I can.

> You'll see the results of my current thinking Real Soon Now.

Ready when you are.

>> The thing I really liked about the piano was the pinblock.
>Yes, it's cheaper. And it won't pass the boil test.

That's ok, I probably wouldn't eat it anyway. Thanks for the info.

Ron N