Downbearing- pos.front/neg.rear

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:54:37 -0500

Greetings,
My question specifically addresses, in a new piano, the oft seen
configuration where one has significant (.030")  positive front downbearing
with a nearly equally significant amount of negative rear downbearing,
(which should perhaps more accurately be referred to as positive
'upbearing'. Whatever.)  Is there any feeling, among rebuilders, or others
with first-hand experience, that such a configuration either has
attributable tonal effects, or has the potential to introduce some physical
distortion into the board or induce some other type of failure?  If this
has been discussed somewhere recently, please direct me.

Thanks.

David Skolnik