string length possible in given cabinet size?

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:27:45 -0800 (PST)

I was wondering -- How does a piano maker figure out
how long his longest string on each bridge can be?  I
was thinking -- if I designed a 64-inch tall and
76-inch wide upright (extra width cause I would like
an extra octave at each end) (would probably be
several years before I could actually start a project
like this if I ever get around to doing it), is there
a way I could figure out how long my longest string
can be on the bass, and my longest tenor string
length?  I was thinking I could possibly have a 81" or
84" longest string on the bass and maybe a 68" string
on the lowest tenor note.  I am thinking of a scale
like A-12 (negative numbers = below lowest note on
88-key piano) to B3 = wound monochords, C4 to G#12 =
wound bichords, A13 to B15 = wound trichords, then C16
to C100 (extra octave in treble IF possible) would be
plain trichords.  I'm thinking of having a bass/treble
break at A#12/A13 or B15/B16.  What do you guys think
would be the longest strings I could get in a cabinet
that size?  Also the keyboard would probably be
designed for standing up at the piano, or for using a
fairly tall stool.  I'm thinking of a keyboard height
of 36 inches from the floor to the tops of the naturals.