Ideal leading pattern: more questions

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:38:43 -0000

So this model S I am trying to solve has what appears to be another quirk.
Admittedly, I don't make this measure of comparison very often but, the
capstan to balance rail distance varies by about 6 mm from end to end, i.e.,
note #1, the distance is 106 mm, and note #88 is 112mm.  The capstan centers
underneath the heel at both ends.  It is counterintuitive if this is the
design.  I operated under the assumption that the balance rail, capstan
line, front of key line were all parallel.  If this is true (please correct
me if it isn't)  it would seem that brackets were not squared up with the
frame and that the capstan line was then drawn at an angle.  Could this
explain why I seem to need an excess of lead in the upper end of the piano?
Interestingly enough, though the downweight diminishes 50-47 from 1-88 (and
the upweight follows inversely), the action actually feels heavier in the
upper end of the piano.  My sense tells me that with the capstan line moving
ever farther away from the balance rail as you progress from bass to treble,
that the action becomes more poorly leveraged and therefore feels heavier in
spite of the fact that it is getting lighter.  Feedback is appreciated.

David Love